Chicago Nursing Home Neglect Attorneys
Nursing home neglect cases involve some of our oldest and most vulnerable citizens. Sadly, many elderly people become victims because they are less likely to complain of issues with their care than younger patients. As a result, cases of neglect and abuse often go unreported until a crisis occurs — such as a death or a trip to the emergency room.
At Healy Scanlon Law Firm in Chicago, our lawyers represent victims of nursing home neglect and abuse. We offer a free initial consultation to discuss your case. The Illinois Nursing Home Care Act may provide triple damages for the damages caused by the issues with your loved one’s care.
The following pages provide more information about nursing home neglect and abuse:
- Nursing home abuse: When you visit a loved one in the nursing home, you may see signs that your loved one is suffering from abuse. This page describes those signs.
- Elder abuse: Elder abuse can occur in or out of a nursing home. Signs that a caregiver may be abusing your loved ones include missing cash, a change in a will or power of attorney, or unexplained injuries.
- Bedsores: Bedsores are an injury that can only occur when a patient is neglected. They occur when an immobile patient is not re-positioned periodically. In the most severe of cases, sepsis can result when not treated.
- Dehydration and malnutrition: The elderly may not feel the same sense of hunger or thirst as younger people. Nursing homes have a responsibility to ensure residents are properly nourished and hydrated.
- Medication errors: Whether it is the wrong dosage or wrong medication altogether, errors in administering prescribed medication, especially to the elderly, can result in serious injury and even death.
- Wandering and elopement: Inadequate supervision by caregivers can result in the wandering and escaping of patients. This is most troubling and potentially serious when the elderly individual has dementia or Alzheimer’s.
- Unexpected death: If you are suspicious of the sudden death of your elderly loved one, you probably have valid reasons for feeling that way. By talking to one of our skilled attorneys, we can go over your case and discuss with you any possible legal action.
- How to file a nursing home lawsuit in Chicago: In Illinois, we have laws aimed at protecting the elderly from mistreatment, abuse and neglect in a nursing home facility.
- Staffing issues: Abuse and harm to elders often stems from severe under-staffing or poor training of staff in nursing homes.
Contact Our Illinois Elder Abuse Attorneys
There is never a charge to discuss your case with one of our Chicago nursing home neglect attorneys. Evening and weekend consultations are available. To speak to us, call 312-977-0100 or send us an e-mail.
Se habla español.